A successful eCommerce website is essential for any business wanting to reach a wider audience and increase sales. ECommerce sales are projected to reach $6.54 trillion by 2022, according to Statista. But with so many eCommerce websites, how can you make yours stand out and succeed?
This blog will walk you through everything you need to know to create a successful eCommerce website for your business.
7 Steps to Create a Successful eCommerce Website
1. Define Your Goals and Target Audience
Before you start building your eCommerce website, defining your goals and target audience is essential. Did you know that according to Stanford University, 75% of consumers judge a business’s credibility based on its website design? So understanding who your target audience is and what they are can help you create a website that resonates with them and drives conversions.
2. Choose Your Platform
Various eCommerce platforms are available, each with pros and cons. Here is a brief comparison of some of the best e-commerce platforms:
- Shopify: is a fully-hosted e-commerce platform that provides everything you need to start and run an online store. It is known for its ease of use and has a large app store that allows you to add features and functionality to your store. Shopifyoffers a variety of pricing options to fit different business needs and budgets.
- WooCommerce: is a free, open-source e-commerce plugin for WordPress websites. It is the most popular e-commerce plugin and gives users much flexibility and control over their online store. WooCommerce is known for its powerful features and customizability but requires more technical knowledge to set up and maintain.
- Magento: is an open-source e-commerce platform known for its scalability and flexibility. Its robust platform can handle large amounts of products and traffic, making it a popular choice for enterprise-level businesses. However, Magento also requires significant technical expertise to set up and maintain.
- BigCommerce:is a cloud-based e-commerce platform that is easy to use and contains powerful features. It provides users with many built-in tools to optimize their online store and has a large app store for additional functionality. BigCommerce offers a variety of pricing plans to fit different business needs and budgets.
- Squarespace:is a website builder that also provides e-commerce functionality. It is known for its stunning templates and intuitive drag-and-drop editor. Squarespace is a good choice for small businesses with a limited product catalog but lacks some of the advanced features of other e-commerce platforms.
3. Website Design and User Experience
Website design and user experience are crucial for the success of your eCommerce website. Did you know that 38% of users will stop engaging with a website if its content or layout is unattractive, according to Adobe? Make sure your website is very easy to navigate and visually appealing. According to Google, 53% of mobile users will leave a website if it takes longer than three seconds to load. Ensure your website loads quickly to avoid losing potential customers.
4. Product Listings and Descriptions
The way you list and describe your products can make or break your eCommerce website’s success. Did you know that 20% of purchase failures result from unclear product information, according to Salsify? Ensure your product listings and descriptions are precise, accurate, and compelling. Additionally, according to BigCommerce, adding high-quality product images to your website can increase conversions by 30%.
5. Payment and Shipping Options
Offering various payment and shipping options can increase your eCommerce website’s appeal and encourage more sales. Did you know that 42% of consumers abandon their shopping carts because of a lack of payment options, according to Baymard Institute? Ensure you offer various payment options like credit card, PayPal, and Apple Pay. Additionally, according to Ecommerce Platforms, free shipping is a significant incentive for online shoppers, with 80% of consumers saying they’re more likely to purchase if free shipping is offered.
6. Marketing Your eCommerce Website
Creating a marketing plan for your eCommerce website drives traffic and sales. According to Campaign Monitor, the average ROI for email marketing is 4200%. Consider email marketing, social media advertising, and search engine optimization (SEO) to increase your website’s visibility and attract more customers.
7. Analytics and Optimization
Tracking website traffic and user behavior can help you optimize your eCommerce website for conversions. A/B testing can increase website conversions by up to 300%, according to Invesp. Consider using analytics tools like Google Analytics and optimizing your website based on user data to improve your website’s performance.
Conclusion: Building a Website for E-Commerce
Creating a successful eCommerce website takes time, effort, and attention to detail. But with the right platform, website design, product listings, payment and shipping options, marketing, and optimization, your eCommerce website can stand out and succeed in a crowded marketplace.
Following the steps outlined in this blog, you can develop a website that resonates with your target audience, drives conversions, and ultimately grows your business.
Finally, regularly analyze your website’s performance, test new strategies, and adjust as needed to ensure your eCommerce website’s success.
If you need help developing and optimizing your website for e-commerce, iGrowMarketing has a team of expert programmers and designers ready to help! Contact us today to start building your e-commerce website for online success!